If you are like me you NEED lip balm! I live in a desert so it is very dry and my lips feel it every day. But here’s the thing I hate buying lip balm. Its expensive and not all brands are created equally. My friend Julrie has made her own lip balm for a long time and I finally jumped on the wagon. I was expecting it to be complicated and time consuming but really you can keep the process very simple. The best part is you control what goes in your lip balm so you can make it from all organic products! Oh and you have lip balm for days!
What you Need.
The simplicity of this recipe is really appealing to me, especially since it was my first time making my own lip balm. You only need three ingredients:
- 100% Pure and Natural Bees Wax
- Unrefined Shea Butter 100% Pure
- Organic Coconut oil
Its that simple! You will also need to buy containers for your lip balm, I use Lip balm tubes but you can use any sort of resealable container. As for what equipment you need to make the lip balm that is simple as well, all you need is:
- Small pot or deep pan, for simmering water
- Creamer Bell or small Metal cup to place in the simmering water
- Measuring spoons
- Stir Sticks
Making you Lip Balm.
To make your lip balm follow the steps below, it is very straight forward:
- Add an inch or two of water to your small pot or deep pan.
- Place on stove and heat on medium till water is simmering. Do not Boil the water.
- While your water heats, add equal parts of the Bees Wax, Shea Butter, and Coconut oil to the Creamer bell or metal cup. I add 1TBS of each this makes a good amount of lip balm.
- Helpful Tip! Put the Bees wax in first, as it takes the longest to melt.
- When the water is simmering place the Creamer Bell or Metal Cup in the center of the pan. Make sure the water is almost up to the top of the cup.
- Stir occasionally while all ingredients are melting.
- Once all three ingredients are completely melted take the Creamer Bell out of the water.
- Pour the melted mixture into your desired containers
- Let Cool!
You Did it!
Congratulations you just made your first batch of 100% Organic Lip Balm! Once the balm has cooled and hardened in your container feel free to enjoy. The texture of your home made lip balm may not feel as smooth as the ones you buy from the store. But don’t worry you didn’t do anything wrong. Home made lip balm tends to feel a little bit grainy when you first apply it. But as soon as it melts on you lips you will feel it gets very smooth.
You can also add Essential oils to you lip balm if you want to spice it up a bit. Two oils that I would suggest are Lavender and peppermint. Lavender Oil is very soothing and helps your lips heal. While Peppermint oil, it is very cooling for those hot summer days and can even help with pesky cold sores. All you have to do is add 1-2 drops to the melted mixture and stir it in.
I hope you enjoy making your own lip balm as much as I do! It’s gratifying to use a product that you made yourself and that you know is 100% organic.